Thursday, January 21, 2010

McCalvy on Fielder

Interesting story at Brewers.com, basically outlining the current status & speculating on Fielder's free agency in '12.

I've been back and forth on the issue myself, as Braun & Prince make a heckuva couple, but regardless of what the Crew reinvests into the team, I just don't see any way they don't flip him in '11. Unless they're in serious contention in 2011 & say damn the torpedoes and take the draft picks at year's end (a development I highly doubt would occur). I suppose they could pull another 2-year deal to buy out one season of FA.

Much has been made of Fielder's "body type" in the past, which traditionally breaks down as the clock turns 30. Could the Crew try to lock him up until age 29, then part ways? Would Boras allow himself to break from past processes and do another 2-year? I wish I knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment